.

Saturday 16 November 2013

Unemployed University Graduate Attemptssuicide In Ilorin Kwara State

 

Ms Esther Okafor, a native of Ganmo in Ilorin, Kwara state has another reason to be thankful.


The 29-year-old University graduate who battled unemployment for years decided to end it all last week at a secluded location.


Over her battle with unemployment, Esther was said to have gone to a secluded location last week Thursday to hang herself but was intercepted by one Alhaji Akeem Mustapha, who was said to have gone there to inspect a building site.


When asked why she wanted to take her life in such manner, Esther responded that she got tired of looking for a job to no avail.


“I am from a poor background. My father is aged while my mother is no more. I struggled to see myself through school, but because I am indebted to the institution to the tune of N15, 000, I have been unable to collect my certificate”, she said.


Reacting to the incident, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Social Development, Culture and Tourism Samuel Osuolale Ajayi, said youths should be creative by exploring their inert potentials for economic gains instead of resorting to suicide which he said is a criminal offence.


He added that the ministry would rehabilitate Esther, a graduate of Health Information Management from the University.


This is what many qualified graduates are going through in Nigeria today.


Hope the government can do something to help them out.



No comments:

Next  previous  home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...